To the first page
about konakovoabout menomonieforumpen-pals club
 

THE HISTORY OF KONAKOVO

The history of the Konakovo district is closely connected with the Moscow and Tver regions. Its administrative division has been reorganized several times. The Korcheievo uyezd (an old Russian term for an administrative division) of the Tver region was established according to the administrative reform of 1781. Korcheievo, the status of which was changed from a village to a town, was appointed its center. The Zavidovo volost, the other part of the Korcheievo uyezd, joined the Klin district. The most ancient settlement of the Konakovo district is the village of Gorodnya, which is first mentioned in chronicles in 1312. The village is 47 kilometers from Konakovo and 30 kilometers from Tver. It is located on the steep right bank of the Volga river at the place where the Vomik stream flows into it. The site of the ancient settlement called Gorodnya and the settlement and village of Gorodnya 1 have been preserved since older times.
The town of Vertyazin was the site of many important historic events. The most outstanding among them was the agreement signed in 1312, when the Tver prince Mikhail Jaroslavovich won a victory over the Novgorod prince. Another agreement was signed by Mikhail Jaroslavovich in 1317 when he defeated the Moscow prince Yuri Danilovich at the village of Bortenevo. Since the 16th century the village of Gorodnya has been known as a stop on the road from Moscow to Novgorod. Owing to this fact it was often mentioned by the travelers who passed through it. One set of notes was left by the Austrian ambassador Herberstein in 1517. At that time Gorodnya was the center of the spiritual life of the entire Tver region. According to the Moscow chronicles, there were six monasteries and one stone church In the village. The church of the Nativity of Our Lady still stands in the town. It is located on the steep bank of the Volga on the site of an ancient settlement. The foundation of the church dates back to the 14th century.

In the late 18th century, during the reign of Catherine the Great, the Putevoi Dvorets, a travelling palace, was built especially for the empress to rest in on her travels. The palace was built according to the plans of the architect M. F. Kozakov and remains in the town to this day. The village of Gorodnya played an important part in the history of the Tver and Konakovo regions. Russian emperors and empresses, high ranking officials, and foreign ambassadors visited it. Greatest Russian writers such as A. S. Pushkin. A N. Gertsen, I. A. Krylov, A. N. Radischev, A. N. Ostrovsky, and M.Ye. Saltykov-Schedrin were closely connected to the village. For instance, in the book "Travelling from Petersburg to Moscow" by A. N. Radischev, a chapter entitled Gorodnya describes the place. Another article called "Gorodnya" was written by A. N. Osfrovsky.
The village of Gorodnya is one of the most significant historical, architectural, and archeological treasures of the Konakovo region.

Another village of the district, Karacharovo, was originally a family estate of the Karachar brothers, who were associates of Moscow prince Ivan III. Ivan III centralized the various Russian principalities in the 15th century. Starting in 1858, the family estate belonged to the Russian artist and social worker G. G. Gagarin. The Karacharovo health center is currently located in the former estate (the main house, service buildings, and park remain in the complex). It is located on the right bank of the Volga, 138 kilometers from Moscow. The Karacharovo park was laid out in the 19th century by an English gardener according to the principles used in the planning of London's Hyde park. The alleys of the park radiate out from its center. There are eight of them: oak, birch, linden, maple, ash, aspen, pine, and fir.

 

KONAKOVO DISTRICT IS LOCATED

Photo KonakovoThe Konakovo district is located In the south-east part of the Tver region. In the south it borders on the Moscow region. The length of the district from north to south is 36 kilometers, and from west to east 57 kilometers. Its geographical location is very advantageous. The Konakovo district is located directly on the railway and highway from Moscow to St. Petersburg, as well as on the Volga river. Large industrial, cultural, and historic cities such as Moscow, St. Petersburg, and Tver are not far from the region. The Konakovo district covers 2,114 square kilometers. The population totals 98,200, including 20,200 rural residents and an urban population of 78.000. There are 44,600 people in the town of Konakovo and 33,400 in various urban villages.

The administrative division of the Konakovo district includes the town of Konakovo; the settlements of Redkino, Novozavidovo, Radchenko, Kozlovo, Ozerki, and Izoplit; the village areas of Vakhonino, Gavrilkovo, Gorodnya, Dmitrova Gora, Zavidovo, Melkovo, Mokshino, Pervomaisky, Selikhovo, Sintsovo, Turygino and Yurievo-Devichievo (the village areas unite 176 villages).

The picturesque surroundings of the district, the Ivankovskoye reservoir, the beauty of the Volga and other smaller rivers, and the deep woods, rich nature, and various remnants of old Russian culture in the area all
contribute to the tourists attractions of the Konakovo region. The Zavidovo forest reserve and the Bezborodovo hunting collective belong to the natural industries of the district. The names of numerous famous scientists and cultural workers are associated with the Konakovo district.


--- | about konakovo | about menomonie | forum | pen-pals club | ---


Project by konakovo.org 2002